Welcome to The Ivy League Look

This blog presents a historical view through articles, photographs, reminiscences, and advertisements, of an American style of men's fashion of the mid-20th century known as "The Ivy League Look" or "The Ivy Look."

This blog will not present modern-day iterations of this "look"; it will be shown in its original context as an American style worn during this specific era. Author commentary will be kept to a minimum.

This is not a commercial site and links to commercial sites will not be posted.

July 23, 2009

Dear Mr. Juster...

Dear Mr. Juster,

What do you think of a man of 47 wearing the same style clothes as his 17-year-old son? My husband thought that Tom looked so great in his Ivy League suit, he bought one himself. I know this is what the kids are wearing, but for a mature man...? - Mrs. L.J.

Time was when a boy dressed like his father. Now, father emulates his son. And why not? If your husband hasn't developed that middle-age spread and has retained a fairly slim build, he will look as smart as Tom in his Ivy model, even though he carries a brief case, instead of books, under his arm. (1962)
_________________________

Dear Mr. Juster:

I recently started working for an advertising agency and notice all the fellows dress in Ivy suits. Every time I've tried Ivy my sloping shoulders look even more sloping, but my wife still thinks I should dress the same way.

Now, I ask you - is it smart to conform, or risk standing out like a sore thumb among my associates? -J. N.

This business of trying to conform by wearing what everybody around you wears, regardless of the effect on appearance, is one of my pet peeves.

Forget about what your associates are wearing and stay to the kind of clothes that do something for you. In this case, it's a model designed with shoulders that help build up yours.
(1964)
________________________

Dear Mr. Juster:

I go to the University of Michigan and wear Ivy type clothes. Recently, I bought a sport coat and it's two-button instead of three. Also, the sides curve in a little, and it has a long vent.

I was told this is for college men but a couple of guys in our fraternity say I got took because no natural shoulder wearer would be seen in this style. Now, I'm wondering if I goofed. - L.W.R.

No, you didn't. Natural shoulder styling is no longer confined to the three-button, straight hanging cut.

Variations in models, such as the one you bought, with shaped waist and deep vents are now available. And, regardless of your fraternity brother's opinion, I say this is a welcome development. Why must you be limited to one model?
(1968)


[Ed. note: Harry Juster was a syndicated columnist writing on men's fashions in the 1960s. He wrote a book titled Clothes Make the Man in 1965.]

1 comment:

Richard M said...

"Dear Mr. Juster (2009): Is it OK if I wear my son's baseball cap backwards with my t-shirt and jeans when I go to the tattoo parlor?